Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Project salvage: Retro dress to a skirt!

Before:
My younger sister made this charming dress from a vintage pattern, and while the first from it fit correctly, this one did not. More's-the-pity. During a much-needed wardrobe consultation session with her older sisters, she decided to let me work some magic with it! ;)
Because of the strange method the vintager's had for inserting zippers, I had to narrow the skirt down, which actually turned out to be very good. Using the scraps that little sis had leftover, I inserted the opposite stripe in the skirt. Then I hemmed it and managed to cut the waistband from the extra I cut out of the skirt. I salvaged the invisible zipper from the dress and used a blue piping scrap from my older sister. Some seams, hand sewing and pressing later, and the Cinderella skirt was ready to wear!

It's definitely a favorite-forever project now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks good! :D

TW said...

A perfect addtion to the wardrobe of "Twiglet." I love it!

Older Sister

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

That's so cute! Great job salvaging.